Solidarity between graduate employee unions is more important than ever as we all face the COVID-19 pandemic, and what this means for the continuation and evolution of our labor movement. We, the CGEU, call on our member unions to share any of their impact bargaining strategies and/or contract wins during this time so that we all may learn from each other as we struggle through very similar challenges. We want to hear:
▪ What workplace safety protections and accommodations have your members been able to win?
▪ Has your administration taken advantage of this crisis to oppress graduate students, how have you fought back?
▪ What strategies has your union used to put pressure on the administration during quarantine?
▪ If your union is on strike, how are you maintaining momentum?
▪ How are you bargaining with your administration when everything has moved online?
▪ Have you been successful through impact bargaining around COVID-19?
If you would like to share stories or strategies for how your union is fighting through the COVID-19 crisis, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will disseminate so that as many graduate labor unions as possible may see what their comrades are doing to rise above the chaos.
Please find a list of resources we have started compiling here. We hope these resources can be helpful for unions looking to craft their own petitions and/or letters to the administration.